Last Friday, I searched it in Wikipedia. Apparently, “Wireless Fidelity” is incorrect and has no meaning. The correct term was actually Wi-Fi Alliance. Wi-Fi Alliance is the company that created the brand “Wi-Fi” which is intended to improve the interoperability of the wireless local area network.
ADVANTAGES OF WI-FI
1. In a local area network (LAN), cabling costs are widely reduced.
2. Areas where cables cannot be reached can be accommodated with Wi-Fi.
3. Wi-Fi chipsets price continues to drop.
4. And lastly, it’s cool!
DISADVANTAGES OF WI-FI
1. Spectrum assignments and operational limitations are not consistent worldwide.
2. Wi-FI signal occupies five channels in the 2.4 GHz resulting in only 3 non-overlapped channels in the US: 1, 6, 11, and four in Europe: 1,5,9,13.
3. Wi-Fi eats up a lot of power compared to Bluetooth and Zigbee.
4. The most common wireless encryption standard, Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) has been shown to be easily breakable even when correctly configured.
5. Wi-Fi networks have a limited range. Wi-Fi performance decreases as the range increases.
If you like this post, click me for a donation.